Sanford is a Fully Mutual Housing Co-operative. All tenants as members of the co-op are effectively a collective of social landlords.
Suitability for Membership
Sanford actively seeks applicants from all sectors of the community regardless of gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation or health status who are:
- Over the age of 18.
- Who wish to live in a co-operative environment.
Unfortunately, Sanford is not suitable for:
- Applicants with dependant children or who wish to share a room (Sanford only provides single occupancy rooms).
- Wheelchair users. Because Sanford was built in the 1970s, there is no wheelchair access.
- Applicants with dogs (Sanford is friendly towards cats and there are several at the coop).
Apart from these restrictions, there isn’t anything else that should keep a person from applying to live in Sanford.
How to apply
The first step is to fill in an application form. Either:
- Download the application form here. You will have to print it out. We can’t accept email applications.
- If you can’t print one out, pop into the office at 11 Sanford Walk to pick up a paper copy.
- Or call the office on 020 86 94 64 61 and we will try to post one to you.
Then fill in the form and return it to:
The Office, 11 Sanford Walk
New Cross, London SE14 6NB
Your application process will consist of three stages: one basic administrative stage, followed by two personal interviews. The whole process usually takes place once per month, except when there are no room vacancies.
Once you’ve applied, your membership form will be vetted – or checked – by a panel of members for co-operative suitability.
If your form passes this stage, you will be invited for a membership interview. This takes place on the first Tuesday of every month. The purpose of membership interviews is to ascertain a person’s suitability to the co-op. We will consider your attitude to living in shared accommodation, your willingness to contribute to the co-op as a whole and your ability to accept different lifestyles.
If you pass this stage, then you will be invited back for a placement interview with the houses that have room vacancies. This will vary month by month – sometimes there are several rooms available on the street and sometimes only one. This interview takes place on the Sunday after the membership interview.
The result of your application will ordinarily be available from the office after 2pm the next day, Monday.